Labels

Saturday 3 January 2015

I bought a pasta maker and made some crackers!



So, I am trying to wean myself off buying any more kitchen gadgets. I have a few. I use them all (maybe only twice a year) but kitchen real estate is scarce. So adding something to the kitchen family is generally considered.



I always thought that pasta makers were a bit of a waste of time as it takes so much time to make the pasta in comparison to the payoff. I mean, it's pasta.  I have an ice cream maker that I only use a few times a year, but when I do, it's magical. Let's not talk about the fairy floss maker from Aldi. It will get used one day . . . maybe.


So when a work friend mentioned that she bought a cheap pasta maker from Big W for $20, the idea stuck in my mind. I wanted to make it. I wanted to have one. I am but a sheep and very susceptible to suggestion!


So, machine was purchased and spinach pasta was made for a spinach lasagna. It was super tasty and successful (although I will roll it a bit thinner next time).


What I have made multiple times though is crackers!


I made these a few months ago and rolled them out  between baking paper and they were successful (so if you don't have a pasta maker you can use that method) but I really enjoy using the pasta maker to roll them out.



Cheapo pasta maker from Big W

I used a recipe from The Kitchen as my starting off point and take it from there. I generally only make half a batch at a time (which is about 2 full oven trays of crackers).


I have tried it with both rye flour and spelt wholemeal flour. I really liked the rye, but the wholemeal was also delicious.

You can add whatever additional flavours that tickle your pickle. My favourites have been:

-sesame seeds
-rosemary and sea salt
-parmesan

So, go ahead and give these guys a go, you will not be disappointed, they are worth the 10 minutes it takes to make the mix and roll them.

Here is the recipe that I modified via The Kitchen

Ingredients

1.5 cups rye flour (can also use wholemeal, spelt etc)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup water

Method

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius approx. Add all dry ingredients to bowl, mix to combine.
2. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients and add wet ingredients.
3. Mix at first with a wooden spoon until flour is all combined, then tip onto bench and knead lightly until smooth. Add a small amount of extra flour if sticks to bench.
4. Let rest for 15 minutes
5. Pasta maker method - take 1/4 - 1/3 cup of mixture and flatten out lightly until around .5 to 1cm thick. Use pasta maker to roll out, dialling down thickness of pasta maker as you go until it is around the thickness of a lasagna sheet. 
5. Rolling pin method - get two pieces of baking paper and roll out dough in between so it is as thin as you can get.
6. Place on a baking tray, cut out with a knife or pizza cutter to whatever shape you like. I liked the kind of trapezoid shapes. Prick all over with a fork.This stops them from rising and makes them crisp up.
7. Place in over for around 10 - 12 minutes or until browned to your liking. Keep an eye on these suckers as they burn quickly. 

Note: you can use whatever flavourings you want in these. I have used rosemary and sea salt, Ras Al Hanout seasoning, Tex Mex seasoning, oregano, parmesan. Whatever you have on hand.




No comments:

Post a Comment