Labels

Monday 7 October 2013

[Cook it] Brioche at home . . . . one bowl, two loaves, three rounds of applause!


Baking. Yeast. Sugar. Yum.

I love any baking that involves yeast. I still think it is a bit of a wonder when you mix some regular ingredients like flour, yeast, sugar and water and get a pillowy cloud of goodness.

Plus nothing beats the smell of fresh bread that has just been baked, taking it out of the pan too early whilst it is too hot, slathering it with your topping of choice (raspberry jam!) and munching away.

This recipe that I found via SBS is awesome as the mixing takes 10 minutes and then you leave it in the fridge overnight to develop before shaping it the next day and letting it rise.

My kind of recipe as most of the work is done while you are not there! 

It makes 2 loaves, so one loaf is sliced and in the freezer, I think I might attempt bread and butter pudding next. There is a feature in the new Donna Hay magazine so should find some inspiration there.

These are the steps that I went through.

See the recipe for full details here.
Add all ingredients into mixer and beat on low / middle speed for 10 minutes.
 
 
The dough is quite wet, try not to add any more flour.
 
 
 
Rest dough in a covered bowl in the fridge overnight. The knead lightly on a floured surface and shape into two rolls and place in a loaf pan lined with non-stick paper.
 
 
They look so cute nestling in their little pans!
 
 
Cover loosely with glad wrap then a tea towel and let rise for 3-4 hours.
 
 
Don't be like me and leave it for too long. It was a really hot day and I couldn't bear turning the oven on and they over proved. Whoops. Add the glaze on top with a pastry brush.
 
 
Bake as per directions, the top browned a little more than I would have preferred, but hey, I will know better next time.
 
 
 
So golden!
 
 
 
Slice and taste. Yum.
 
 
 
I have put some in the freezer for next weekend and it is designated for French toast!


No comments:

Post a Comment