Doughnuts are delicious. I don't know anyone that doesn't love a doughnut (although it's not the first identifying question I ask people either). Cinnamon doughnuts freshly cooked, jam doughnuts that yo reheat in the microwave and forget that the jam turns into molten lava that burns your lips and leaves an attractive blister. They are all magical.
A little of the joy is lost to guilt though if you are trying to eat healthily.
By no means am I saying that these are a 'health food', but they are probably a bit less naughty than the fried version and they taste awesome.
Plus, it doesn't need a mixer and only uses two bowls!
I used this recipe from taste.com.au but modified it a little.
See the original recipe below (I will add the changes in brackets!)
|Whoops, didn't leave enough mix to cover.|
|Trying not to eat all the Nutino whilst waiting for them to bake.|
|Gooey chocolate innards. YUMMO|
300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
2/3 cup caster sugar, plus 1/2 cup extra to coat
80ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil (I used rice bran oil)
1 large egg
175ml buttermilk (I didn't have buttermilk so used 1T lemon juice and poured milk on top to measure 175ml)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tsp good-quality strawberry jam (a few tablespoons of Nutella / hazelnut spread . . . plus a few swipes for the cook)
100g unsalted butter (I only used about 50g)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 Celsius if fan forced)
2. Place flour and caster sugar in a bowl, whisk together to mix and make a well in centre.
3. Mix egg, milk, buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a jug.
4. Add wet mix to well in dry ingredient bowl. Mix until just combined.
5. Place 12 cupcake liners on a tray (or in a muffin tray if they do not stand on their own). Place heaped teaspoon of mix in each liner with a little tiny well in the bottom.
6. Place small teaspoons of nutella in each well.
7. Place teaspoon of mixture over each little deposit of nutella. Try and make sure you cannot see any nutellla when looking at top of liner.
8. Cook for approximately 15 minutes. Take out of oven and poke skewer in and make sure there is no wet muffin mix stuck when removed.
9. When cool enough to handle, brush top of muffins with melted butter then dip in a little bowl where you have mixed together the sugar and cinnamon.
10. Try not to eat them all!
Tip: these are best eaten warm on the same day, but if you nuke them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to rewarm them then they are even better (just don't burn your lips!)
Original recipe via Taste.com.au